When the temperature falls below freezing, the water in the water pipe freezes, causing no water to come out, or the water pipe may burst and leak.
As described below, please cooperate in preventing freezing of water pipes.
Water pipes that are easy to freeze
- pipes exposed (exposed) outdoors
- A pipe located on the north side of the house where the sun is not exposed.
- A pipe in a windy place
※Be especially careful when it falls below -4 ° C.
How to keep the cold in ordinary households
- Wrap it completely up to the faucet with heat insulating material, blanket or piece of cloth.
- In order to protect the meter, put a used blanket or styrofoam of cloth in the meter box to keep it warm.
- If you put water little by little from the faucet to the bathtub, the water is constantly flowing, making it difficult to freeze. (Please note that there will be a water charge for the flow.)
Long-term absence in winter
The water pipe may burst due to cold waves and leak water. If you are absent for a long time, please close the valve (auxiliary stopcock) in the meter box when you go out.
If the water pipe freezes
- If the faucet freezes, wait for it to thaw naturally, or cover it with a towel and slowly lukewarm water.
※It is important to note that suddenly applying hot water may cause pipes and faucets to burst or damage the hydrant.
- If water does not come out even after opening the faucet due to freezing, the faucet may remain open, but be sure to close the faucet even if water does not come out.
- If the water pipe and water meter (meter glass) burst, close the valve in the meter box as much as possible and stop the water. At this time, cover the ruptured area with a cloth or tape and apply for repair. However, be careful not to get injured by broken glass.
- Water leakage from a water meter to a faucet cannot be repaired in Water Works Bureau.Private water works shops (list of water leak repair companies downstream of the meter)Please ask for repair. However, Water Works Bureau will replace the rupture of the water meter (meter glass) free of charge. Also, if water leaks near the water meter, free repair may be possible.Water Works Bureau Customer Service CenterPlease contact me.
In City of Yokohama, Water Works Bureau
- During the winter season, we organize a patrol team and try to detect and repair leaks that cause slip accidents at an early stage.
- If cold waves are expected in the weather forecast, we are calling for prevention of freezing by broadcast vehicles.
For inquiries about water supply, please contact Water Works Bureau Customer Service Center.