It is the top of this page

Foreigner and Japanese residents abroad residing in Japan

Last update date May 29, 2020

Foreigner joins National Pension Plan (Kokumin Nenkin), too

As a general rule, all people under 60 are to join National Pension Plan (Kokumin Nenkin) 20 years old with Address or older regardless of nationality in Japan. Procedure for participation is ward office registering Address.
※But foreigner cannot join National Pension Plan (Kokumin Nenkin) when Address disappears from Japan. In addition, it is not adding up object period of old-age pension for the overseas residence.

Person who received naturalization or permanent residence permission

As for the foreigner who received naturalization or permanent residence permission in Japan, it is 20 years old or older during period when houses under 60, the next period are targeted for adding up.

  1. Period when we stayed in Japan as foreigner from April, 1961 to December, 1981
  2. Period until the day before such as days when we acquired Japanese nationality from April, 1961 in periods when we lived abroad

Though we paid premium, for foreigner who returned home without recipient qualification, there is system of withdrawal lump sum. If there is period when we put National Pension Plan (Kokumin Nenkin) or participation period of Employee Pension Plan (Kosei Nenkin) alone more than six months, and foreigner who cannot receive pension requests Japan within two years after the departure, we are provided with withdrawal lump sum. We perform procedure by mail for pension mechanism in Japan.

Withdrawal temporary amount of money (2020) of National Pension Plan (Kokumin Nenkin)
Premium payment periodAmount of money
It is within 12 months more than six months49,620 yen
It is within 18 months more than 12 months99,240 yen
It is within 24 months more than 18 months148,860 yen
It is within 30 months more than 24 months198,480 yen
It is within 36 months more than 30 months248,100 yen
More than 36 months297,720 yen

※Please refer to pension office for withdrawal lump sum of Employee Pension Plan (Kosei Nenkin).

Social security agreement

Social security agreement prevents double burden of premium by coordinating pension policy that should take out between two countries, and of premium hang, and consider sute tetonaranaiyo, Japanese pension participation periods to be period when joined pension policy of country binding agreement together, and is going to be able to receive pension of the country. For more details, please see each homepage of pension mechanism (the outside site) in Japan or Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (the outside site).

When we are transferred abroad, we stop National Pension Plan (Kokumin Nenkin) once or join voluntarily sequentially or can choose by oneself. Here is different when we join voluntarily.

About any participation
We join voluntarilyWe do not join voluntarily
(1)Accidents joining become a target of Disability Basic Pension.(1)We do not become a target of Disability Basic Pension even if we look good with accidents.
(2)We pay premium and can bring old-age pension close to the full amount.(2)It is adding up object period, but does not reflect to the amount of old-age pension.

Please report if you would like to join in Japanese residents abroad (except No. 2, third insured person) under 65 20 years old or older voluntarily.

  • When there is relative (cooperators such as parent, child, siblings) in Japan
    The relative becomes cooperator.
    Of place where peregrine lived in report last in the countryWard office National Pension Plan SectionWe do in this.
  • When there is not relative (parent, child, siblings) in Japan
    Report has jurisdiction over place where peregrine lived in last in the countryPension officeWe do in this. We go through the procedure by mail.

※Report when we did not live in the country is as follows.
Chiyoda pension office
22, Sanbancho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo

Inquiry about procedure

Please refer to ward office Insurance and Pension Division National Pension Plan Section of ward to live.

Contact information in charge of each ward office Insurance and Pension Division National Pension Plan (Kokumin Nenkin)
Ward officePhone numberFax
Tsurumi Ward045-510-1802045-510-1898
Kanagawa Ward045-411-7121045-411-7088
Nishi Ward045-320-8421045-322-2183
Naka Ward045-224-8311045-224-8309
Minami Ward045-341-1129045-341-1131
Konan Ward045-847-8421045-845-8413
Hodogaya Ward045-334-6332045-334-6334
Asahi Ward045-954-6131045-954-5784
Isogo Ward045-750-2421045-750-2544
Kanazawa Ward045-788-7831045-788-0328
Kohoku Ward045-540-2346045-540-2355
Midori Ward045-930-2337045-930-2347
Aoba Ward045-978-2331045-978-2417
Tsuzuki Ward  045-948-2331045-948-2339
Totsuka Ward045-866-8441045-866-8419
Sakae Ward045-894-8421045-895-0115
Izumi Ward045-800-2421045-800-2512
Seya Ward045-367-5721045-362-2420

Inquiry to this page

Health and Social Welfare Bureau life Welfare Division Insurance and Pension Division

Telephone: 045-671-2418

Telephone: 045-671-2418

Fax: 045-664-0403

E-Mail address [email protected]

Return to the previous page

Page ID: 202-334-469

We come back to the top