It is the top of this page

Basic knowledge of route bus

Last update date July 28, 2020

About item about route bus (carryall) business, we compiled way of thinking and rule.

Route bus is said to be labor-intensive industry (industry with high ratio that personnel expenses account for), and personnel expenses account for about 60% of the whole expense. The remainder is vehicle costs, fuel costs, tax and premium, administrative expense (desk work expense necessary for management as company).

It is the current situation that the income and expenditure of route bus is very hard, and it is in money-losing route (※ 1), and about 70% of line number that most of bus company operate is the situation running with profit of surplus line of remaining about 30%.
In addition, the income and expenditure is severe for bus company, and about 70% is the situation of deficit administration (※ 2) among bus companies where are higher than 30 national possession vehicles.
※It is bus industry study session 1 in bus industry study session report, April, 2009
※2:2014 12 a year moon Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism investigation

There is route bus on the basis of roundtrip operation between station and housing complex and office. However, in the commuter rush hour when passenger takes most, we intend to leave for station in the morning, and there is much use, and there is little use of opposite direction, and it is biased service.
Therefore, line where the income and expenditure does not balance with when a lot of commuter rush hour sees by roundtrip on line taking exists a lot. Effective service is the difficult situation as the time required and personnel expenses do not change so much even if we forward, and only direction with a little use traveled.

We greatly distribute, and, in Yokohama-shi, two fare structures are applied.

Fare structure
kinichisei It is system to pay the same fare regardless of carried distance so that rate receipt becomes simple and easy as there are many users in urban area including center of city.
Anti-kilometer section system We set section on the basis of constant distance and are system to pay well-thought fare depending on section where we got on. In the city, it is applied to some sections including circulation line in residential area and parallel line with railroad, tall and stout line.

Bus company determines which fare structure you apply after having stood on characteristic or profitability every line and it is appropriate or, by the Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, receives examination and will receive the authorization.
Called "the upper limit authorization system" to receive the authorization of the Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport about the amount of upper limit that bus company applied for as for the fare of route bus the system is such. Company is mobile, and they can set fare only by report if within the amount of this authorized upper limit.
In addition, cost price that added up standard expense and profit of open area (Yokohama blocks Keihin) becomes standard so that management efficiency of each bus company is not reflected in application of the amount of upper limit by fare.
※Keihin block: Tokyo special ward, Mitaka-shi, Musashino-shi, Chofu-shi, Komae-shi, Yokohama-shi and Kawasaki-shi

About dimensions of the maximum of vehicle which can pass road, it provides that we do not surpass 2.5m in width, 3.8m in height, 12m in length in vehicle limit law. We can pass vehicle which is smaller than this without permission.
In addition, we sort in the Road Traffic Act enforcement regulations about type of car, and ride capacity assumes more than 30 things large-sized car.

Size of vehicle
Classification of vehicle

Trailer bus

Medium-sized bus

Minicoach

Wagon type vehicle
Specifications (length X fuku) 11m *2.5m 9m *2.3m 7m *2.1m 5.4m *1.9m
※The maximum of commercially available vehicle
Passenger capacity About 80 people About 60 people About 30 people 6-13 people
Indication of itoshodorofuku 5.5m 5.1m 4.7m 4.3m

As for the vehicle price of route bus, it cannot be said unconditionally by bus company to greatly vary in the internal equipment and outside specifications, but, as for the body price of vehicle, it is around 20 million yen.

Inquiry to this page

Road and Highway Bureau plan adjustment part Planning Division

Telephone: 045-671-3800

Telephone: 045-671-3800

Fax: 045-651-6527

E-Mail address [email protected]

Return to the previous page

Page ID: 654-765-154

We come back to the top