Please refer to this (City of Yokohama, Environmental Planning Bureau zoo section) for information about highly pathogenic avian influenza in wild bird which died in Yokohama-shi.
About the infection prevention of bird flu
Do not approach chicken, do not touch!
Bird flu is infection related to influenza virus moving from chicken to chicken. It is usually thought that we are not infected with people unless heavy contact with infected chicken is special. In addition, example that bird flu infected people from wild bird in the country is not reported until now.
In the everyday life, it is not necessary to worry excessively, but please be careful about the following things just to make sure.
◆It will prevent you from touching directly if we find wild bird which weakens, and died
◆Let's wash our hands immediately when we touch
In addition, we do not approach birds, and attention is necessary because there is area that bird flu produces when he/she goes abroad. For more details, please see "to person made a voyage to to foreign countries".
Even if bird flu occurs in birds, it is not that chicken and small bird raised at home or school are dangerous promptly. For birds, we do appropriate breeding, and let's try for health care of to raise. (about how to contact wild birds October, 2017 Ministry of the Environment homepage) (the outside site)
About highly pathogenic avian influenza
(1)Infection of highly pathogenic avian influenza
- Highly pathogenic avian influenza points to thing due to specific virus with high death rate of infected chickens among bird flu. Or we are infected from chicken with bird through water, excrement directly.
- It is infectious disease to move from chicken to chicken and may not usually infect people, but example that infected people is reported basically in foreign territory by close contact (we breathe in feces which became powdered, and virus enters at nose through hand which touched feces and the internal organs of the chicken) with infected chicken.
- When we are extremely rarely infected with people, other than influenza-like symptom (high heat, cough 38 degrees Celsius or more), diarrhea is reported. Whole body symptoms such as dyspnea or multiple organ failure may be caused.
- It is not reported worldwide that people eat chicken and hen's egg and are infected with bird flu virus.
- We usually carry out hand-washing strictly, and let's try for health care.
(2)Attention about foreign tour
The patients with country, area (Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries homepage (outside site)) where highly pathogenic avian influenza is prevalent in poultry (chicken, duck, quail) or a person's bird flu do not touch dead chicken which made a voyage to to confirmed country, area (Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare homepage (outside site)) confirms the latest information on homepages, and does not drop in at market and stud farm treating locally live chicken, and please be careful enough.
Even if bird flu of birds occurs in the country, it is not that chicken and small bird raised at home or school are dangerous promptly. Is appropriate; if keep, and work as person, may not worry more than required.
(1)Main symptom (in the case of birds)
- We ruffle feather losing spirit that come to have no appetite suddenly, and it is feeble with neck, and symptom such as bowing the head appears. He may die suddenly.
- We usually observe health condition of birds, and there is not the symptom mentioned above, or let's be careful. When you have abnormal symptom, please consult animal hospital.
- You perform cleaning of breeding hut regularly, and please work to prevent excrement from leaking appropriately.
- Let's prevent that wild birds invade breeding hut and drinking fountain.
- Let's stop pasturage.
- When we touched birds or the excrement, let's wash our hands by all means.
- When influenza-like symptom (high heat, cough 38 degrees Celsius or more) comes out, please consult medical institution early.
Inquiry, consultation counter
- Environmental Planning Bureau agriculture promotion section TEL045-711-0636 FAX045-721-6356
※When you recognize abnormality to chicken in people of few breeding of poultry farming farmhouse and poultry (chicken, duck, quail, pheasant, ostrich, Guinea fowl, Meleagris gallopavo), please contact animal hospital or Kanagawa prefecture center domestic animal hygiene place (telephone 046-238-9111). (Kanagawa homepage"Bird flu information") (the outside site)
(2)Thing about bird (pet) raising at home
(4)Thing about food (chicken, hen's egg)
(5)Thing about highly pathogenic avian influenza (a person's health)