In Minami Ward, antiquity is excavated in several places including the "remains of Gumyoji" "remains of lord ka valley", and vast Okagawa basin is thought about with place where people are easy to live a life from the ancient times.
The Edo era, Minami Ward were parts of Musashi country Hisayoshi Funato county, and agriculture was central village. Great Okagawa who drifted to the center of Minami Ward brought blessings of nature in river with much meandering and overflowed at every heavy rain and annoyed people. We received permission that merchant Kanbee Yoshida of Edo filled up the vast Okagawa river mouth as Nitta in 1656 from the Edo Shogunate, and large-scale construction was completed in 1667. Nitta was named "Yoshidashinden" and played an important role for Yokohama development afterwards.
New culture, technique, industry was introduced with the Westernization and, after the opening of a port of Yokohama Port, spread. Soap was made for the first time in Japan in Banseicho, Minami-ku in 1873. In addition, the first elementary school was established in Yokohama, and three schools of those were organized in Minami Ward (Ooka, Ishikawa, Ota Elementary School). In 1882, venturers of Yokohama founded Yokohama commercial law school which became forerunner of current Yokohama commercial high school (School Y) for successor upbringing. Yoshidashinden developed with port town yokohamano development as city area.
"Yokohama encouragement of industry expo" was held in Maita district to push forward expansion of encouragement and trade of domestic industry in 1913. It was pushed forward in venue ruins of expo afterwards advance, house of factory becoming. When streetcar was opened to Gumyoji in 1914, becoming went ahead through city to the ward still more.
Town of Minami Ward which continued developing since the opening of a port suffered big damage by the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923. However, it was readjusted the division of land by the later revival, and model of current cityscape was completed.
In 1927, constituency system of Yokohama-shi was enforced, and current Minami Ward became a part of the Naka Ward. When Shonan Railway Corporation (current Keihin Electric Express) was opened in 1930, becoming accelerated city more.
We parted from Naka Ward, and, in the middle of 1943, World War II, Minami Ward was born, but business district and densely populated area encountered repeated air raids and suffered biggest damage in the city. Postwar revival was not easy, but it was gradually maintained with rapid economic growth in rise of postwar economy, the Showa after 30s waiting, and, in the mall, vigor came to overflow partly because requisition place spread out in ward.
Because population increased rapidly from about 1960, we isolated the southern part of ward as Konan Ward in 1969 and became current Minami Ward. Streetcar was abolished that increase of population was still strengthened and relieved traffic jam of traffic, and we were changed to bus transportation by southwest development. Municipal subway was opened between Ise Saki Chojamachi - Kamiooka in 1972, and four stations were established in ward. In addition, general Government building was completed in Hananokicho in 1973, and use of various inhabitants of a ward facilities were established, too. Above all, as for large Okagawa promenade made along great Okagawa drifting to the center of ward, it is in oasis of cherry tree and inhabitant of a ward who can enjoy fish or waterfowl throughout the year.
As for the current Minami Ward, it is still in town full of rich vigor of human touch that the old downtown atmosphere continues living for.